This movie had been in our Netflix instant queue for a while, so when Scott and I had our movie day with Halloween and The Core (which is only scary in how terrible it is), we threw in this vampire love-fest as well.I haven't read Interview with the Vampire. I'm sure that someone has and will tell me that the book is way better than the movie, but I certainly enjoyed the movie itself. Though it could have used more Christian Slater. And less gross blood everywhere, but I'm sure that was half the point.
The story, as far as I can tell, is that this journalist, Slater, stumbles upon a vampire, Brad Pitt, who decides to tell the journalist his life story. The story is not very pretty — Pitt has a crappy life and for whatever reason is picked by the vampire Tom Cruise to become a vampire himself, which is even crappier than being a vampire usually is, because there just aren't that many around. Pitt realizes that he's made a pretty bad life decision, and tries to be as un-vampire-like as possible, but eventually he succumbs and does, like, the worst thing ever in nomming on the neck of a sweet little Kirsten Dunst, who Tom Cruise then turns into a vampire for shiggles. And then even more bad stuff happens.
I guess my one complaint about the movie is that I keep referring to the characters by the actors' names... I remember that Cruise was Lestat, and Pitt was Louie or Louis or something, but I can't for the life of me remember what Dunst's character's name was (a quick trip to Wikipedia tells me it was Claudia). I don't know if it's just the power of a famous name or a lack of caring about the characters. I think it's probably the latter. But the story is good, and interesting to someone whose experience with vampires is pretty much limited to loving Buffy and rolling her eyes through the first Twilight book. So I think it's an overall good time.
Recommendation: Watch this if you like any of the aforementioned actors, or Antonio Banderas, who is also in this movie. Or if you are interested in what the "real" life of a vampire might be like. Or if you really like the look of blood dripping down everyone's chin. Ew.
Rating: 7/10
(RIP Challenge)
4 comments:
I have read this book but never seen the movie. I was talking about it with the guy the other night and we both were thinking we should watch it at some point. Thanks for the review!
When you do, let me know how it stacks up against the book!
I watch this long time ago...so long I barely remembered the details. Thx for reminding me :)
I want to read the book more than watching it again.
I watch this long time ago...so long I barely remembered the details. Thx for reminding me :)
I want to read the book more than watching it again.
Post a Comment